Sunday, February 15, 2009

Gratitude

As we go forward on this myeloma journey, we find much to be grateful for.
The first couple of weeks after diagnosis, I was a basket case. Doug was stoic, not showing much emotion. I wondered how we would ever cope with this cancer; it just seemed overwhelming. One day I just surrendered and told God -- You handle it because I can't. Although I wasn't much of a bible reader at the time, I remembered the bible verse: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-14 My sister even gave me that quote on magnetic sign to put in my kitchen.

Well God did give me strength, and then some. Even though we wouldn't wish this cancer on anyone, we have received gifts along with the cancer. We have a renewed faith in God, a stronger marriage, have found a very supportive church, and have made wonderful new friends in this community. (And are blessed to have treasured old friends too.)

We now have a "new normal" that is mostly happy and joyful. We have re-learned to appreciate the ordinary details of life. Living where we can look up and see majestic mountains doesn't hurt!

My cousin Jan Holcomb sent this to me:
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.

1 comment:

jkmac said...

Hello Mom and Doug. Just "posting" to your blog. You do a very nice job with these things. Love you guys and as always you have our continued support and love.