Thursday, April 11, 2019

Hold Treatment - low counts, weight loss

Doug had last week off from the infusion drug Daratumumab (dara) according to the treatment protocol, but he still took his oral drugs Revlimid and dexamethasone. His fatigue did not improve; so that points to the Revlimid as cause of the fatigue. Today was supposed to be infusion day - but his counts were low, fatigue still very much present, and he lost more weight - he was down to 148 pounds today; two weeks ago it was 152. January 17 he weighed 164.

So with all those factors combined, the oncologist decided to hold treatment - give him another week off the dara and temporarily stop the Revlimid until the fatigue lessens. Then the Rev will restart at a lower dose. He will keep taking the dex weekly. We go back next week.

Today his blood counts were:
WBC   1.9
HGB    11.8
PLT     105
ANC    1.0

We got results of the most recent myeloma panel blood test. This shows what the light chains (cancer markers) are doing. The last two months they were all within normal limits. Now the Lambda light chains are rising. Not the direction we want them to go!

Doug has been eating but he doesn't want large amounts. He is trying to do snacks between meals.

This part of our cancer journey is getting a bit bumpier. Lots of twists and turns on the road ahead. We cherish all our friends who so faithfully pray for us.

Today's verse is part of the lyrics of a song we heard in church recently:

Jesus draw me ever nearer,
As I labor through the storm.
You have called me to this passage,
and I'll follow, though I'm worn. 

May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.

Jesus guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more. 


No comments: