Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hip Pain Gone - Home tomorrow!

Today was Doug's third radiation treatment (this time around) and already his hip pain is almost totally gone. He stopped taking the Morphine after the first treatment on Monday. Today he saw Dr H, the radiation oncologist. Doug told her how good he is feeling and asked her "Do I really need the five treatments, or can we skip the last one?" She thought about it for a minute and said it would be okay to stop after tomorrow. Since she is giving the radiation strictly for symptom control, it makes sense. She also said if the pain ever comes back in that area, this leaves her a little leeway to treat it yet again if necessary. Yippee!

Doug's weight today was down to 157, but that was with him wearing sweatpants instead of jeans with heavy belt/ flashlight, knife, phone. He has an appetite and is eating, so I'm not going to be concerned about weight right now.

I have been in a bit of caregiver slump lately. Lack of energy, poor sleeping, close to tears a lot. Considering our moving into the new house (I hate moving), the old house buyers backing out at the last minute, needing to keep up the yard at the old house, Doug's pain - all that builds up. I was able to take a nap today and yesterday, so that helps a lot.

I know it says in the Bible "do not worry" over and over again. Now I see why the Bible keeps repeating it: we need to hear it a lot! I am trying to hand everything over to the Lord, but I have to admit it is hard to let go of the worry. I, being human, keep grasping at things I mistakenly think I can control. I/we can do nothing by ourselves. I remember in one sermon this year, the pastor said "When you get to the end of your rope, don't tie a knot and hang on -- let go, and trust God to catch you." I love that visual. I just didn't think it would be this hard to let go.  My life verse is Proverbs 3:5-6:
"Trust the Lord with your whole heart. Do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your steps." 

Love to all.


No comments: