Sunday, August 5, 2012

Return of hip pain

Doug told me yesterday that he is still (or again?) having left hip pain - he describes it as level 6 or 7. He's frustrated. I am too, but I reminded him that his activity level has been off the charts, for him, as he is working so hard. We are still cleaning out the old house - our great friends moved the furniture for us, but everything else we are still moving. The biggest hurdle is getting the garage totally cleaned out at the old house. It got to be a messy, unorganized packrat of a garage. We have made huge progress, tossed or donated lots, found spots to store things in the new house. We are trying to do this at a slow pace, but Doug is having trouble slowing down.

I think I finally got him to understand that 'resting' does not mean sitting for five minutes and popping up again.  Yesterday and today he has done much less and is spending more time in the recliner. The hip is still trying to heal; hopefully it will.

We love our new neighborhood, and the two sets of neighbors we have met so far are great. It makes me sad to go over to the old house, not because I am still attached to the house, but because the yard/flowers are starting to show neglect. I still do weeding, mowing, and cutting spent flowers back, but can't spend the time I used to on the yard as when we were living there. It can't be helped. We now have a rock/gravel yard, as do many in our new neighborhood. We do have three evergreen trees, so at least have some green.

I am beginning to feel more rested. Even though he hurts and is frustrated, Doug's attitude is good.

Love to all.

“Acceptance doesn’t mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and that there’s got to be a way through it. “           Michael J. Fox  

No comments: