Friday, April 24, 2020

Kyprolis will start soon

Doug had his echocardiogram  and the results are good. So he is on track to start the Kyprolis/dex.
His first infusion is scheduled for Thursday April 30. He will have another one the day after. The infusion clinic has five hours reserved for him. The actual infusion will take only 30 minutes, but a lot of things have to happen before that. The nurse will access his port using sterile technique and draw blood for testing. He has to be hydrated before the Kyprolis is given, to protect his kidneys and other organs. It takes time for the fluids to drip in through the port.
 Once results come back from the lab and the oncologist gives the okay, the speciality pharmacy will mix the drug. Doug will be monitored carefully in case he has a reaction to the drug. After the infusion he won't be allowed to leave until the nurse/doc are sure he isn't having a late reaction. Over time everything will probably go more quickly.

When Doug had his echo, I was not allowed to go into the hospital. I had to wait in the car; this is due to the Covid-19 precautions. I understand completely.
We checked, and I will be allowed to stay with Doug in the infusion clinic, as long as I do not leave and come back. I will have my iPad to keep me busy.

Doug will have Kyprolis every Thursday and Friday. Thankfully it only takes 30 minutes travel time to get to the hospital.
We are trying not to focus on the cancer treatment. It takes a lot of prayer to keep our eyes on Jesus!

This is one of the Bible verses that helps me:
"I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me."  Psalm 16:8

Love to all.

No comments: