Sunday, September 6, 2020

Stopped Eating

I’m writing this as Doug sleeps. I got a good night’s sleep last night because our son Kelly and his wife Jamee stayed overnight last night. They were a huge help! 

With the help of Pastor Tom, I have people coming more often in the afternoons so I can take a quick nap. Even a short nap helps. 


Long-time friends from Nebraska were here for a few days. They came to see Doug, and at that time he was able to talk better. I know he enjoyed seeing them. They also told me to go take a nap while they watched him. 


An extremely kind neighbor has put himself on standby to help me if I need to change Doug or reposition him. He even stayed at the house overnight once so I could sleep! A different neighbor gave me his cell phone to call if I need help. Such people are a blessing indeed. 


Doug has stopped eating. Drinking was becoming difficult for him, so hospice recommended a thickener to add to liquids to make it easier to swallow. Even then, he doesn’t want but just a few sips. I’m using a syringe to give him water. 

He still tries to climb out of bed so needs constant watching. Most of the time he sleeps but he does have times of agitation. It is a big effort for him to talk. Many times he seems to be sleeping, he is listening to what’s going on around him. When I talk directly to him, sometimes he opens his eyes, but often not. He does understand what we say though. 


Pastor Tom came last night for a short time. Kelly, Jamee and our grandson Brendan were here then so they enjoyed meeting him. Pastor Tom prayed over Doug and read some scripture verses that were comforting, and reminded us all of God’s promises about all the new and glorious things he will have in heaven. Including a new body; legs that work, and no more pain. What joy that will be! 

But first the hard work, as the body fights to stay here even though Doug is not afraid and trusts God’s promises. 


Doug’s breathing changed yesterday morning. He has periods of about 10 seconds when his breathing stops (apnea), then it starts up again. This is to be expected. I called hospice to report this, and one of the nurses came out to check him. It is a normal part of the dying process. Doug’s heart is still strong. 


The dogs are a bit stressed - they know something is going on. They want to jump up to snuggle with Doug but we have to block them from jumping on the bed. They want to sit on daddy’s chest - not allowed now. Thanks to a lovely neighbor and the 13 year old sweet  daughter of friends, they get regular walks. That’s a tremendous help. 


The dying process is normal, but it is not easy. It is so hard to watch my husband go through all this. 

God does provide help, day by day, hour by hour. 


Proverb 3, verse 5:

Trust the Lord with your whole heart. 

Do not depend on your own understanding. 



Love to all. 

Update -


My dear friends who live next door just told me they are coming to spend the night tonight! What a blessing.


And another friend - a nurse who started hospice in our valley years ago, came over. She has a wealth of experience and talking to her really is helping me. 


1 comment:

sidpennington said...

Pst, We continue to pray for U & Doug.
GEnelle &Sid