Saturday, November 19, 2011

Not Eligible for Clinical Trial

We are home! We picked Chester up from the kennel yesterday late afternoon. He was fit as a fiddle, happy and well fed. I know I've mentioned it before, but we just can't say enough good things about Patti and Mike Bondurant. Patti gave Chester a bath and said she thinks he is part German Shepherd - from all his hair and because of the way he was barking at all the big dogs. Chester told me he just doesn't know how they can run the kennel without him.
We go back for Doug's last radiation treatment Monday, but we'll make it a day trip, and take Chester with us. He's good in the car.

Our computer stopped working last Thursday while we were still in Edwards. As soon as we got home, we took it to Kelly, our trusted computer repair person. For now we are using the old computer - and thankful it still works.

In the last post I mentioned we were going to look into a clinical trial for Doug. I didn't want to wait until our appointment with the oncologist, so I emailed the clinical research nurse. This morning when we booted up the old computer, there was an answer from her.  Doug does not qualify. She said:
"To qualify for this trial, he would need to have an M-protein of at least 0.5, and according to the labs and notes I received from your oncologist's office, your husband does not currently have any m-protein in his blood—he has light chain only disease."
We are disappointed; I was hoping Doug would have a chance at the new investigational drug.
I did reply and ask if there is another trial he might be eligible for. If not, Doug will go back on the original drugs that put him in the first remission. I really hate waiting - I want him on chemo NOW. Our appointment with the oncologist isn't until Nov 30.

Doug still takes the pain med when needed, but if he isn't too active, he doesn't hurt. He is having some nausea; it is not from the radiation (only his hip is being treated, far away from his stomach). Dr. Hardenberg is wondering if it is from elevated calcium level, so she ordered a CBC and chem. blood test. With Multiple Myeloma, calcium can leach out from the bones into the blood. Not a good thing, but treatable. We won't get those results until Monday. Did I say I hate waiting?

I got a wonderful gift from a dear friend --  the daily devotional "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young . I highly recommend it; the readings are so comforting. Here is a portion of today's:

Leave outcomes up to Me. Follow wherever I lead, without worrying about how it will all turn out. Live in the now, concentrating on staying in step with Me.When our path leads to a cliff, be willing to climb it with My help. When we come to a resting place, take time to be refreshed in My Presence.

1 comment:

Mike and Debbie said...

Glad to hear an update. I've been wondering about you two. I've been having lots of computer problems too so understand now why the lapse in updates. I'm praying Doug gets on just the right treatment. God knows what that is and WHEN he needs it too. I loved the devo. from Jesus Calling.