Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rough Night

Last night was really rough. At 6 pm Doug said his pain level was a 10. He took his first dose of Oxycontin, the newly prescribed pain med.

He laid down at 9 pm - by 10 pm he was feeling very uncomfortable - clammy, dizzy, feeling "disconnected", slight nausea, anxiety, did not feel he could lie flat. I propped him up on pillows and he dozed on and off but neither of us got much sleep. At 4 am he said to me "Call the squad" -- I checked him and decided that was coming from the anxiety - I did not call the squad, but reassured him he would be okay and he was feeling side effects, nothing more. At 8 am when the oncology dept opened, we went over to have his blood pressure checked and talked to the nurse. His BP was okay by then and he was feeling much better. Susan, the nurse, reafirmed that what he was experiencing was side effects, but she was surprised that one dose did that. She said he should go back to just taking the oxycodone for now.
Tomorrow is the day Dr. Hardenbergh will see Doug. Susan said they would come up with some other pain med to try. They really want him on some form of long-acting pain med and I agree. I've been nagging at him to take his pain med on a regular schedule before the pain gets too bad but he still waits too long. Stubborn men!

Doug is dozing now. I am waiting for Susan to call me back, as Doug wants something for nausea so he can eat.

I'm really tired and close to tears but holding together. I know God is good and He will provide.

No comments: