Saturday, December 29, 2018

PET Scan results; radiation treatments begin

We got the results of the PET/CT scan that was done 12-19-18. It is a lot of medical lingo but I'll try to simplify it.

  • There is a lesion in the left mastoid sinus that is suspicious for a malignant bone lesion or could be an inflammatory mass. This is the first time for this finding. This is not being treated by radiation but hopefully the chemo will take care of it. 
  • Enlarging soft tissue nodule in the right upper arm. This is being treated now with radiation. 
  • Increasing hypermetabolic  adenopathy (cancer) in the area around the right collar bone extending into the right axilla (armpit). This is also being treated now.
  • Multiple old bone lesions that are unchanged. 
Looking on the bright side, there is no evidence of malignancy (cancer) in the liver, spleen, pancreas, adrenal glands or kidneys. 

I got to watch Doug's treatment today. I'm a retired radiation therapist so the techs gave me the royal treatment and let me see everything.  The machines have advanced quite a bit since I retired in 2005 but the basics are the same. It is amazing what the combination of computerization, medical expertise and dedicated highly trained radiation therapists can do. In many cases cures are achieved. In Doug's case, the aim is palliation (control of symptoms), not cure. Thus he will get a lower dose than some. And far fewer side effects.

Because of the New Year holiday, we don't go back for treatment until Wednesday January 2. We will enjoy a few days at home. 

We had a safe trip home today, praise God. And a hot meal was delivered by the dear friends who are taking care of our dogs. We have so much to be thankful for!

Love to all.

But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For You have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress. 
Psalm 59: 16

No comments: