Friday, April 10, 2009

Day + 22 -- a rocky start, then good news

When I got to the ICU this morning, Doug was more "out of it" than usual. He was physically active, moving around in bed, but really jabbering nonsense. His eyes were half open. I asked him to look at me and he did but wasn't very focused. I said "Who am I?" He answered "Dolly" (his mother) -- I asked him to try again. This time he said "Jeff" (his brother). This was the first time he did not know me and I was very upset. I sat in my chair with a kleenex and had a little pity party. About 30 minutes later one of the docs came in and asked why I was crying. The doc then woke Doug up and said "who is that in the corner?" Doug said "my wife". And he knew my name -- whew. He was out of it most of the morning. Later the social worker explained to me "ICU delirium" -- patients in ICU become very disoriented and lose track of reality -- it happens commonly and can get worse the longer they stay in the unit. Now I understand it will get better, and I hope he can be transferred to another floor fairly soon.

We had several pieces of good news today! There have been no fevers and no antibiotics for two days. The cardiologist told me that a test he ordered, that is indicative of heart failure, came back normal today. He had ordered the same test when Doug was admitted to the ICU and that time it came back very elevated -- but because Doug was so recently post transplant, he suspected that might be influencing the numbers, and that was true. So another whew.

The tube feeding seems to be giving Doug some energy at last -- he did an awesome job for the physical therapist, showing much stronger arms and legs, and he might stand tomorrow. The downside of his being stronger is that in his confused state he tries to climb out of bed. Fortunately he can't manage to get the sides of the bed down. Yet. His day nurse said that if necessary the night nurse can call for someone to watch him; it is illegal to use restraints on patients in this modern age.

Our son Kelly had today off so was able to spend quite a bit of time with me and helping with Doug, so that was great. Doug's brother Jeff also comes when he can. And a few days ago friends from our church in Buena Vista came to see me and pray for Doug; it was really wonderful to see folks from home. Our daughter-in-law Jamee is doing laundry for me which is a big help and much appreciated.

The best news of the day -- the oncologist said that he talked to the pathologist and had preliminary results from the heart biopsy -- no amyloid! This is very good; amyloid is a nasty protein fiber that infiltrates organs and disrupts function -- and that would have meant more problems down the line. So the docs feel that what Doug has is a virus that settled in his heart when he had no immunity, even though he was on preventative meds. Since Doug's heart is gradually improving, the virus must be self-limiting -- a very good thing. I don't know yet if there will be a specific treatment or just supporting his heart and letting it heal with time. The biopsy still has to go under the electron microscope for final opinion.

The oncologist also said that the blood tests are showing a good reduction in the myeloma numbers -- so it looks like the transplant is successful.

So after a rocky start it turned out to be a very good day. This is the first time in quite a while that I can breathe a sigh of relief. PRAISE GOD!

No comments: