Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day + 23 -- transferred out of ICU

When I walked into Doug's room this morning, he was sitting up in bed, looked at me and said "hello dear". He was not confused! His voice is almost normal, recovering from the raspy whisper caused by having the ventilator tube down his throat. He was holding a cup of water in his hand and managed to drink and then set it down. Might not sound like much, but these are motor skills he had temporarily lost. And he sat up in a recliner for over an hour; it is very good for him to get out of bed as much as possible.

The ICU doc came in to see Doug and said that Doug was ready to be transferred out! We had to wait until afternoon for a room that could accomodate a heart monitor, but now Doug is back on the 9th floor. It was kind of strange to be back there -- I could almost imagine that the week in ICU never happened. The nurses in ICU were great but its not a place you'd want to spend a lot of time.

The cardiologist came by and said that every day Doug looks better from a cardiac viewpoint. He's come a long way from being in heart failure a week ago.

Doug is still very weak but I think he will gain strength every day. Since today was Saturday, the physical therapist did not come but I think/hope they will tomorrow. Doug is very motivated to try to walk the few steps to the bathroom.
Another big hurdle is to get him to eat and get off the tube feeding.

So it was a very good day, and I am feeling a big sense of relief. I am so thankful that both Doug and I have a faith that has sustained us in this difficult time. Thank you all for your prayers!

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

1 comment:

childoflight said...

WONDERFUL NEWS! God bless you both!xoxoxoxoox