Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day + 34 -- the ticket out

Yesterday I was feeling low. Today I am much more hopeful. A friend told me that I must be a strong woman. Yes, I am, but the strength is not mine. Prayer and trust in God is what is keeping me going. I do have weak moments - I am human. But the bible verse that I put in the blog recently keeps coming back to me:
"Trust in the Lord with your whole heart. Do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your path."

So after prayer, I came to the conclusion that Doug needs to take more responsibility for his health. This morning I told him that his ticket out of the hospital is to drink six Ensures a day. All of his medical problems now are directly attributable to dehydration and malnutrition. Two days ago he said he couldn't drink more than three a day. Today he looked at me and said "Okay". So we have a plan to get him home (or at least to the hotel). He has not been thinking clearly and I know this will be difficult for him, but I think he is starting to understand what he needs to do. I had to leave the hospital a bit early to pick up something at the home health store before it closed -- by the time I left Doug had had four Ensures, more than ever before. He still is trying to eat as much as he can at mealtimes.

Doug is working incredibly hard with the therapists. They are very good at what they do; they are challenging Doug to do more and also encouraging him and giving him rest breaks when necessary.
His blood pressure is still low but was stable today. The therapists are cautious but still are having him walk. I follow behind with a wheelchair so that he can sit if he gets dizzy, but he hasn't needed to. The PA ordered another liter of fluid to be given tonight to counter the dehydration, and Doug is also drinking more. The therapists and I have discussed what kind of aids we'll need at home, such as a bath bench for the shower, a cane, and possibly a walker. No certain date for release, but I feel we are getting closer.

"God doesn't promise security FROM life's storms but security IN life's storms."

Love to all.

No comments: